Watkins UMC Children & Youth Ministry position available
posted on March 16
The mission of this church is to seek, teach and support people in becoming true Christian disciples, who will enthusiastically and actively demonstrate the love of Christ in our community.
Director of Children & Youth Ministries
Reports to: Lead Pastor
Expected Hours: 16-18 Hours
The Director of Children & Youth Ministries works to create a supportive and engaging program for children and youth that connects them to, and grows their understanding of, the love of Christ for all people though programs, missions, and outreach into the community.
Description of the Role though our vision
- Work with the Age Level and Family Council in planning a variety of events/activities for the youth/children and attend the events to show support to the families.
- Attend staff meetings and church activities.
- Develops new outreach activities to connect to families in the community
- Build relationships with children and youth through personal involvement.
- Create Children and youth meetings, activities that encourage spiritual growth and engagement.
- Develop close, collaborative, relationship with Pastoral, staff, and leadership teams to support the ministries of the church through open communication and dialogue.
- Advocate for children and youth participation in the life of the church through worship, activities, and committee membership in an ongoing effort through attendance at Staff, Worship, Age Level and Family Ministries, Children's governing board, and Church council meetings.
- Develop a budget that reflects the mission and financial capabilities of the church.
- Communicate activities and needs of the ministry continuously through social media, presentations, announcements, and all church methods.
- Connect directly with parents/guardians of children/youth to develop consistent two-way communication and input regarding the activities and needs of their community members.
- Identify, recruit, train and oversee the adult volunteers for implementing the programs.
- Encourage youth involvement in service to the Church through worship, committees, etc.
- Create an environment in which a grace-filled, and Wesleyan theology (UMC) is taught and formed within each student and child.
- Promote a youth experience that leads individuals to a strong relationship in Christ and encourages them to safely discuss, question, and express emotions as they build community together.
- Ensure safety and emergency procedures are in place.
- Monitor and enforce child safety and abuse policies of the church.
- Provide ongoing support and resources to families of youth and children.
- Develops and encourages relationships that foster a Christian atmosphere within the church and its activities
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills
- Knowledge of United Methodist terminology
- Excellent communication skills both orally and written
- Skill to organize and plan events successfully
- Ability to enlist volunteer help from others in the church.
- Computer literate and familiar with MS Word, Excel and Publisher
- Ability to establish priorities, works independently, and proceeds with objectives without supervision
- Ability to handle and resolve recurring problems
- Training and/or experience in youth/children ministries.
- Master of Divinity (or similar degree) completed or in process would be a plus.
- Materials and volunteers for weekly children and youth programs shall be prepared on a monthly schedule and available for presentation at the weekly staff meeting. The materials will be kept in the appropriate O365 location unless found only in hard copy.
- Materials used in all programs should fit with the teaching and theology of the UMC.
- Events and programs shall be coordinated with the Age Level and Family Ministry Committee. There should be clear alignment with the Mission and Vision that is called out in the planning process. Communication of these programs should include the relationship to the Mission and Vision, ways that the congregation can support through participation and donations, and outreach. All events and programs should have appropriate Staff/Volunteer supervision that meet Safe Sanctuary guidelines.
- Communication with parents/guardians should be weekly and consistent in a format that is easily understood and consumed by families.
- All policies of Watkins UMC and the United Methodist Church should be followed including Safe Sanctuary.
- The ability to maintain strict confidentiality is required in this position. There should be no disclosure of names of persons, topics of conversations, or any other protected or private information related to children, youth, or families at the church.
- Insurable driver
- Interactions with others are respectful and professional.
- Non-smoking on premises
- Social media and Public presentation reflect a Christian approach
- Demonstrates an Understanding of Mission and Vision.
Enacted though and ongoing process of SEEK - CONNECT - NURTURE
Louisville, KY 40241