posted on February 02
This is a reminder of the 2021 Methodist Scout Sunday which is February 14. ( or any Sunday in February that will fit your calendar.
Last year was a tough year for scouting and our Kentucky scout councils for Scouts USA and Girl Scouts. I am sure the scout leaders, families and councils appreciate any assistance your churches have provided to them in 2020 and now in 2021. Many churches are now allowing the scouts to meet as long as they follow all guidelines for CDC, state, local and conference as well as meeting your own church rules and safety precautions.
I’m sure the leaders and boys and girls are tired of Zoom meetings and want to learn and have fun again in their den, patrol , troop and crew meetings.
Any type of Scout Sunday Worship will have to be a very scaled down version of what many have done in the past. If you have not planned anything yet with your Chartered Organization Representative, Troop Chaplain, or scout unit leaders here are a few suggestions.
- Ask a scout or troop Chaplain’s aid to read the scripture for the day.
- Ask a scout to read the Scout Oath and Law
- Ask a scout or small color guard to lead the pledge in an opening flag ceremony.
- Ask a scout leader ( youth or adult ) to share what they did in 2020 or just let them thank the church for sponsoring their unit.
- Ask your COR or Scout leaders to invite all scout families to join your on-line worship. E-mail them a link or information on how to access you Sunday worship on-line and ask them to view your service on your Scout Sunday.
- Just be flexible and work with the scouts on any ideas they might have that are safe and workable with you and your church staff.
Thanks for all you do for scouting and lets all hope and pray that scouting and your churches can grow and get stronger in 2021 .
Kentucky Annual Conference Scouting Coordinator
Scouting Ministry Specialist